[ RadSafe ] Chinese fast reactor starts supplying electricity

Wed Jul 27 19:01:04 CDT 2011

I am not a liquid metal reactor guy: I am a light water reactor guy (in
fact, I am a pressurized water reactor guy, as I consider boiling water
reactors to be anathema).  As I understand it, the reason for using
liquid metals is the high Z atoms reflect high energy neutrons without
absorbing as much energy as something with low Z, such as hydrogen.
There are applications where high energy neutrons work better than
thermal neutrons, such as breading fissile material in U238 or Th232.
There are also applications that allow for much higher power densities,
which is why they have been looked at for shipboard use, despite their
obvious drawbacks.  I believe sodium is used because of its melting
point is at a useful temperature and it has an acceptably low fast
neutron absorption cross-section, and because it isn't very dense (the
other molten metal coolant I've heard of is lead-bismuth, which has to
be difficult to work with just because of the weight).

I understand that when you have a really neat idea, such as breeding
more fuel than you use, it is tempting to focus on that, and downplay
the challenges.  But tons of molten sodium, flowing through pipes, being
moved by pumps, and passing though a heat exchanger, perhaps with WATER
on the other side of the tubes.  Dang.