[ RadSafe ] Rb-87 Atomic Clocks

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 13:10:52 CDT 2011

Hi Elsa,
As well a a radiation detector collector, I'm a "Time Nut" and have several Rubidium oscillators or "Atomic Clocks". The amount of Rb in these units is tiny. The older, larger units such as the Efratom FRK have lamps and cells about 1/2" in diameter. most of the volume is buffer gas. I've never seen any reference to a radiation hazard in any of the manuals or data sheets. There is no detectable radiation from an FRK even with the lamp access covers removed. The "other" atomic clock uses Caesium-133 (stable) which does make them hazardous cargo due to it's reactivity. Agilent (HP) have a dispensation for shipping their designs as it's sealed in a heavy metal vacuum tube inside the instrument.
So in short,
No they are not considered radioactive. I get a higher reading from a package of Lo-Salt (K-40).

Robert Atkinson G8RPI MRAeS