[ RadSafe ] Sr-90 in milk (re-named)

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Jun 3 15:02:30 CDT 2011

Sorry Glenn, you are wrong.

Sr-89 is a fission product, it is also a pure beta emitter like Sr-90. So it causes problems when determining Sr-90 in fresh fission products and especially in the first days after the Chernobyl accident it caused problems, because many person doing measurements did not know it or simply neglected it, producing much to high valures for Sr-90. Measurement is not easy, in most traditional methods radiochemical separation is necessary (it is anyway, but not to this extent like in the presence of Sr-89). Also short lived yttrium isotopes pose a problem and I know of several cases where wrong results for Sr-90 were caused because of the wrong assumption that this other Y-isotope was Y-90 in equilibrium with Sr-90.

All these caveats might  also be applicable to the messages about Sr-90 and Sr-89 from Japan. One would have to know the details of the methods used.

Sr-89 is used for what you described, but it is produced by some accelerator reaction - you would not be able to separate Sr-89 from Sr-90 produced by nuclear fission - or would you?

Best regards,

Franz