[ RadSafe ] WHO: Cell phone use and physics; Raman2

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Sat Jun 4 11:23:02 CDT 2011

Um, the inelastic scattering of light was predicted by Smekal using quantum theory prior to Raman's discovery in 1928.

Adolf Smekal, "Zur Quantentheorie der Dispersion," NATURWISSENSCHAFTEN 11, 873 (1923).

For a direct link see: http://www.springerlink.com/content/r1q0325731k8x326/

That would be "The Quantum Theory of Dispersion." for those not trained in German ; )

In Germany, I believe that it is still called Smekal-Raman Scattering. You can still find this in the literature.

I don't know why Smekal was dropped but early papers described it:

The Smekal-Raman Spectra of SiHCl3, CHFCl2 and CF2Cl2, Phys. Rev. 40, 908–913 (1932)

Modern Density Functional Theory programs can all calculate Raman spectra accurately, see ADF, Gaussian, etc.

One can accurately use QM to calculate x-ray raman, as well: Recent Developments in the Analysis of X-Ray Raman Scattering, J. A. Soininen, J. J. Rehr, A. Mattila, S. Galambosi, and K. Hämälainen, AIP Conf. Proc. 882, 102 (2007).

Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

Jeff