[ RadSafe ] Austrian Versus Texas Wild Boar Meat

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 17:57:34 CDT 2011

Dear Maury:

I am expert on part of this subject!

For years in Austria, I'd ride the fence on my horse 4 seasons a year to
check for places where wild boars had dug through or under the fences in the
Karnabrunner Wald in Lower Austria.  For this task, I was awarded a free
wild boar each year (with me at the trigger of my accurized Winchester Model
1894 .30-30) and they all tasted "real good".  I did this memorable task
from 1981 through 1988, so I was quite conscious of the potential effects of
the Chernobyl accident.

HOWEVER, following the accident, our hunting club submitted a wild boar shot
(and refrigerated) the autumn before Chernobyl for testing.  The report was
that it was badly radioactively contaminated, so we tended not to believe
anything we were told after that.  I also shot quite a few pheasant, duck &
roe deer in Austria, and they all tasted "real good", too!

Heck, I've even been snipe hunting in Austria, too!  (The real kind!)

I also have significant experience with the succulent rattlesnakes of
Colorado during years of field exploration for uranium, and they all tasted
"real good", too!  I had them roasted, broiled, barbequed, turned into Chile
and even curried & served on a bed of rice with mandarin oranges. I never
checked to see if they were particularly radioactive or not, but their
rattle sounded quite similar to my scintillation counter, so they might have
been.

Those critters all tasted "real good"!

But, I've never been wild boar hunting in Texas...

The wild boar around Chernobyl tend to dig up the countryside as well!  I
enjoyed the Pripyat Swamp in 1996 and 1996.

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd