[ RadSafe ] Dental X-ray doses

Lemieux, Bryan P blemieux at uthsc.edu
Mon Jun 6 12:45:17 CDT 2011

Otto,

NCRP 145 gives effective doses for intraoral full mouth series and 5-10 mrem per series with film is a good ballpark.  With digital receptors you can cut that by up to half.  Technique, cone length and cone shape all make a difference here too.

Panoramic is somewhere circa 1-2 millirem per scan (values vary again with technique, unit, etc...).

Dental CBCT has effective doses from about 6 to 26+ per scan depending on unit, scan area and technique factors.

Bryan Lemieux, M.S., CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
3 N Dunlap St. S110 Van Vleet Bldg
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone:  901-448-6114
Fax:      901-448-7774