[ RadSafe ] Sr-90 in milk (re-named)

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Jun 7 09:49:53 CDT 2011

Thanks, Edmond.

My reasoning is based on the well known curve (we call it the double camel hump). According to this the concentrations of Sr-90 and Sr-89 must be initially (almost) equal. Of course there will be a difference when a nuclear reactor has operated for a while because of the different half lives. Nuclear explosions are not so much different. What I know for sure from the Chernobyl accident is, that the activity concentrations we found in precipitation, aerosols etc. was initially about equal. I described the problems to discern Sr-89 and Sr-90. I would expect that Sr-89 might be less from emissions after weeks or months after the NPP was shut down. I know that some "experts" take this and claimed I-131 emissions as a proof that there is still a chain reaction going on in the reactor.

To my knowledge there is no stable Strontium or Yttrium in a reactor. So what should be the source?

Thanks for some years of reasonable discussion at RADSAFE and a few personal meetings!

Best regards,

Franz

First I would like to set those straight who assumed the there is no