[ RadSafe ] 109 million million atoms of Pu-239 per sq. meter Measured! --was Re: "Highly toxic" Pu found near Fukushima

SAFarber at optonline.net SAFarber at optonline.net
Thu Jun 9 00:56:13 CDT 2011

Hi gfinnigan,

Thanks for pointing out my typo. 88  billion atoms of Pu-239 per square
meter after 10 half lives is the right number given the current deposition
of 1 E+14 atoms/m^2 noted. I noticed the error after posting my note, but
decided not to write a correction to see if anyone was reading my posts!
:-)

The real significance point in the numbers involved is in showing the
distortion in the endless repeated myth that "a minute speck" of plutonium
is enough to cause a case of lung cancer. Pu-239 was dispersed by nuclear
bomb testing throughout the world as a fine dust [a total mass of a bit
over 6,000 kg of Pu-239] and after leaving the stratosphere was inhaled
deep into the lungs of everyone on earth. If the claims by various
anti-nuke activists were true, rather than distortions by factors of a
hundred million or more, every person on earth would have contracted lung
cancer.

Best,
S. Farber

--