[ RadSafe ] "Highly toxic" Pu found near Fukushima - what about natural U and Th?

Miller, Mark L mmiller at sandia.gov
Thu Jun 9 09:14:38 CDT 2011

One thing that has always confused me is why Pu (an alpha emitter) can be the "most toxic substance known to man" ...NOT...  while the natural thorium and uranium decay series have several alpha-emitting radionuclides in their decay chains.  Why don't people see these radionuclides as similarly "toxic"?
(not glowing) In the Dark,
Mark Miller