[ RadSafe ] U.N. chief urges "global re-think" on nuclear safety

Tue Jun 14 14:42:23 CDT 2011

"Re-thinking" should be a periodic process in any engineering endeavor,
as there is always new technology that possibly can make the process
better.  After a major event like Fukushima, the "lessons learned" list
should be long and acted on quickly.  For example, one of my colleagues
asked, "So, should the back-up generators for ocean-side plants be in
watertight compartments, or up on the hill?" my answer was, "Yes."

Some of the "Re-thinking" I would recommend is to focus on smaller new
designs, preferably ones that can't melt down (such as pebble bed),
decentralized, so as to not have as many reactors vulnerable to the same
event.  I would recommend a wider, denser, array of radiation monitors
that can be accessed remotely, and can work for a couple of months off
the grid.  I would put anyone in the community who wants to be in a
dosimetry program, once they had passed some required radiation classes
(the price of the dosimeters would be cheap compared to having lots of
informed people in the area).  On a national/international level, I'd
have the biggest generators that could be lifted by helo available to be
sent wherever an emergency happens.

I believe that nuclear power both must and should be a part of the
future energy picture, but even I agree that some serious re-thinking is
in order.