[ RadSafe ] 250K microSv

Perle, Sandy sperle at mirion.com
Wed Jun 15 22:08:09 CDT 2011

Hi Steve,

I believe your assessment to be accurate. It's a nice trick to scare the
daylights out of the general public who don't understand radiation but see
large numbers, implying very serious consequences. The use of mSv would
have been more appropriate but the effect would have been minimized. It is
also possible that this is the graphic that was provided to the reporter
since I have seen that graphic used in many venues.

In our international dose reporting we report in units of mSv and there
have been occasions when communicating with some of our Japanese
colleagues they move the discussion to uSv. I don't have a problem is when
discussing exposure, the use of uSv/hr is OK, but not when it comes to
dose and possible effect. Those who insist on large uSv values do play
into the mind game.

Regards,

Sandy

Sander C. Perle