[ RadSafe ] "Toxic strontium" --- let's all panic (again).

Fri Jun 17 10:51:16 CDT 2011

If we are talking about the "ground water" sampled at the Fukushima
plant, I suspect that it is from the recent event (and continued
addition of large amounts of water, some of which is almost certainly
entering the ground), and that it is irrelevant from a human health
point of view.

Firstly, no one is going to be drinking water from under the facility:
they wouldn't have, even if the reactors hadn't melted down.

Secondly, the monitoring wells probably are fairly shallow, rather than
going into an aquifer that would be tapped for drinking water, if there
were drinking water wells on the site, which there are not.

Thirdly, while I am not a hydro-geologist (or a more appropriate name
for the field), I am under the impression that water flows downhill,
even underground.  This would means that the contaminated water that has
soaked into the ground will be moving towards the ocean mere hundreds of
meters away, not going up over (or under) the hills behind the plant,
they up gradient for tens of kilometers (at least) in search of human
flesh.

In more normal times this might be a cause for concern.  Right now,
worrying about the Sr-90 under the plant is like worrying about water
from the fire hoses will wet the carpet.