[ RadSafe ] Activity versus dose/exposure

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Jun 22 11:49:26 CDT 2011

Carol et al.,

It seems that there is a fundamental misunderstanding among many (most???) RADSAFErs. The dose after a nuclear contamination is only to a small percentage due to direct gamma-ray exposure, more important from inhalation,  but overwhelmingly due to ingestion.

Gamma-ray Dose Constants will not help to determine the dose after a nuclear accident. Additionally the contribution from alpha- and beta emitters may play an important role, depending on the circumstances of the accident.

This is one of the lessons I learnt after the Chernobyl accident.

Do you have data on food contamination around Fukushima and the diet of people living there? I doubt.

Franz