[ RadSafe ] How many curies were involved in Hiroshima

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Jun 22 14:30:43 CDT 2011

June 22

         Initially, you (CB) wrote, "But I think you will just have
to wait now for the Fukushima deaths."  I would construe this as
meaning deaths from the Fukushima accident itself.  Now, you are
saying "The deaths in Fukushima".  This could be construed as deaths
from any cause --- car accidents, domestic violence, etc.

         Let's assume you mean cancer deaths as a result of exposure
to radiation from the Fukushima accident.  Since solid tumors have a
latency period of 20 y or more, do you expect us to wait around for
at least 20 y to see if your prediction will come true?  Who will
maintain the records of other exposures to this immense cohort to see
what else they could have been exposed to that could also have caused
cancer?  Are you going to attribute all lung cancer deaths in smokers
to Fukushima?

         How do you propose to *prove* that any subsequent cancer was
cause by the Fukushima accident?  Not all cancers are caused by
radiation, and the causes of some cancers are unknown.  I can see
some methodological and analytical problems here.

         On a practical note, Busby will turn 66 y old in
September.  Hence, by the time we can tell whether or not his
predictions are coming true he will be at least 86 y old.  I rather
doubt that they will come true, but even if they do, at age 86 (or
more) it's going to be a hollow victory.

Steven Dapra

[edit]