[ RadSafe ] Activity versus dose/exposure

Philip Simpson phils at umich.edu
Thu Jun 23 18:38:29 CDT 2011

It appears Unger and Trubey, Specific Gamma-Ray Dose Constants for Nuclides Important to Dosimetry and Radiological Assessment, ORNL/RISC-45/R1, 1982 is the original source of the specific gamma-ray dose constant 1.131e-5.
The gamma/x-ray data used for Cf-252 is reported to be:
E		Abundance
15		0.0728
68.2	0.0003

These energy and abundance data are quite different from what is more recently reported for Cf-252 elsewhere such as the Lund/LBNL site or Akovali in Nuclear Data Sheets 87, 249 (1999) as reported in the BNL Nudat2 site .  This may be the source of the discrepancy.

Phil Simpson
Assistant Reactor Manager (Ret.)
University of Michigan
Ford Nuclear Reactor