[ RadSafe ] Hot particles on automobile air filters

Busby, Chris C.Busby at ulster.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 08:08:16 CDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at agni.phys.iit.edu on behalf of kmcheng1 at netvigator.com
Sent: Thu 23/06/2011 22:29
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing	List; The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics)	MailingList
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Hot particles on automobile air filters

A simple demonstration we used to show to junior school students about natural radioactivity was to cover the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner with a filter paper, turn on the cleaner for 5 to 10 minutes and then put the filter paper in front of a GM counter.  There were normally sufficient radon progeny on the filter paper to give a significant count rate above the background.  The same would be expected on an automobile air filter shortly after it is taken out of a running engine.

That is probably nothing new, unless the gamma spectrum shows that there are something else other than radon progeny.

Clement Cheng
Radiation Health Unit
Department of Health
Hong Kong SAR, China