[ RadSafe ] Mission to Mars

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Tue Jun 28 21:34:41 CDT 2011

I hope that this is incorrect. Steve Howe from the Center for Space Nuclear Research recently detailed his work on nuclear propulsion with NASA during a talk at the Advanced Test Reactor Users Week. They had a number of projects in different stages. Some were very interesting concepts.

My take was that it will be very hard to explore Mars without nuclear propulsion in a different manner than we have seen in the past.

NASA may be the one US government agency not afraid of Nuclear. The 110 We RTG powered Curiosity has just arrived in FL.

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/09/24/the-new-mars-rover-curiosity-is-unveiled-getting-ready-for-launch-in-2011/

Curiosity will last for about 1 year but still will leave the majority of the planet unexplored.

The Tungsten-HEU fast reactors designs are very impressive.

The Mars Hopper is a really clever design. http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Fleet_Of_INL_Designed_Mars_Hoppers_Could_Swiftly_Explore_Other_Worlds_999.html

Jeff