[ RadSafe ] Sternglass => Mangano scaremongering => was:RE:Sci.Am. about Fukushima and US Pacific NW infant mortality

Wed Jun 29 11:24:09 CDT 2011

Have you compared infant mortality from communities with similar
socio-economic levels but very different background radiation levels?
It would seem that one should find a consistent difference in the rates,
if such low levels have an actual effect.

Then there is that pesky bit about if they had used the 10 weeks before
compared to the 10 weeks after the supposed difference pretty much goes
away...

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Busby, Chris
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:23 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing
List; The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics)
MailingList
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Sternglass => Mangano scaremongering =>
was:RE:Sci.Am. about Fukushima and US Pacific NW infant mortality

Yes i know a lot about infant mortality. I did a huge amount of work
back in the 1990s on this issue. Heart disease and sr-90.
Infant mortality is 0-1.
So as you say, given the time period, if there were an effect from the
radiation it wd have to be around the time of birth. But also there
would be stress on all children 0-1.
So if you take children 0-1 there are always those who are just hanging
on, those prems and on incubators and those with various conditions
where they are on the edge. You can see this easily in very cold
winters, and especially in poor areas disadvantaged areas in cold
winters. The infant mortality rises. I mean there are a lot of children
out there 0-1 who are in poor familes and who are not fed properly and
so forth. So this would be an explanation. Radiation affects the immume
system, this has been measured by many Russian papers after Chernobyl
using objective biological markers.
I dontr think that postmortems would distinguish between radiation and
other causes, as it would just be the weaker children who died.
Incidentally there is a lot of published evidence that just before you
present with  child leukemia your immune system is destroyed. So a lot
of those kids who would have gone on to get child leukemia died of other
"natural" duiseases like flu. That why there isnt a big peak in the 60s
fallout.
I myself havent looked at Joe's stuff i havent had time. But I have
asked for some data from Seattle king county to look myself, hasnt  come
yet.
The point about the samll numbers is easily addressed with statistics.
What would be useful would be to compare by county and month with
fallout iodine levels. Use Poisson Regression. That would do the job.
If you get me the data we can do it together and send to a journal. That
way it would be two sides of the argument looking for the answer.