[ RadSafe ] Japanese Reactors

neilkeeney at aol.com neilkeeney at aol.com
Sat Mar 12 08:55:07 CST 2011

Yes, this is very disheartening and a very big loss for us all in many respects.

That's it then - very sad.  Not to put too glib of a spin on it, the unit would be a big trash can and it would compel greater damage control efforts on an expanded front.

Foremost, we must confront the evolving perceptions that will be shaped in large part by the news media during these initial periods.  The predominant story on the talk shows seem to be, as one might suspect, related to how bad it all is and how wrong we all were to build these things that just keep blowing up and we should be using a mix of solar, wind, and other 'safe technologies'.

Just now, I'm listening to a popular news cast wherein the anchor (Diane Thurston - SF) has just asserted that - "Everyone knows that your body accumulates radiation and never gets rid of it and that everyone knows that radiation causes cancer.  Therefore, why would we, as a civilization 'mess with fire'?"  She goes on further to associate dangerous emissions over a thirty mile radius from a plant with 'it's only a matter of time before California has "the big one"'. She actually doesn't come across as an "anti"; more as someone who is not trusting of the technology.  Exceptionally skillful and somewhat cavalier remarks, exceptionally damaging on the PR side of things.

The people at SONGS and DCPP will have this old PR problem arise, 'cap-a-pie' in a new unit of time.

Sigh.

Neil Keeney