[ RadSafe ] Japanese Reactors

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Sat Mar 12 13:10:12 CST 2011

Three of the reactors were in outage during the event. While the one with the worst conditions has been the focus, I believe that all of the reactors have suffered loss of coolant and at least 5 emergencies have been declared.

The one in the worst shape is the oldest reactor on the site. Designs always get better with time so it is not surprising that it is in the most trouble.
New designs likely would have survived. Of course, we don't have any of those in operation.

I still think that flooding with sea water should have been immediately attempted.

<Speculation> I think that they were trying to save the reactor. </Speculation>

No offense intended, could be we have different definitions of "last ditch."

To me "last ditch" implies very unlikely to work. I will be very surprised if flooding with sea water fails.

I use "last ditch" as "Hail Mary" or "Shot in the Dark." I don't think that this is in that category.

Jeff

Jeff Terry
Asst. Professor of Physics
Life Science Bldg Rm 166