[ RadSafe ] Zirconium Cladding of Fuel Rods - Reaction With Water

Brent Rogers brent.rogers at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 15 19:01:11 CDT 2011

I keep reading/hearing about advancements in reactor design.  Does anyone know if ABWRs are designed such that, in the event of a similar emergency, would prevent the H2 from moving into the secondary (turbine) system?  My understanding is that the H2 explosions that occurred wouldn't be likely in a PWR, as the primary system is all contained within the primary shield.

Brent Rogers
Sydney Australia

Sent from my iPad