[ RadSafe ] Maybe not totally abandoned

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Wed Mar 16 09:12:46 CDT 2011

These is no limit for an informed worker acting voluntarily during either lifesaving actions or the protection of large populations at least under US Department of Energy rules. I don't know the numbers for the NRC but I expect that they are the same.

The preferences is to keep exposures below 25 rem during emergency actions (lifesaving or protection of large populations).
During protection of property the exposure limit is 10 rem again voluntary.

No one can be ordered to take a dose greater than 5 rem in the US DOE system.

The shallow dose and extremity doses are 10 times these values.

I have been trained on these numbers so many times that they are ingrained so I don't have a reference.

5 rem normal
10 rem property (voluntary)
25 rem lifesaving and population protection (voluntary)
>25 rem lifesaving and population protection (heroic)

I think that these values are:

50 mSv
100 mSv
250 mSv