[ RadSafe ] NRC Press Release and suggested PAGs

John Ahlquist john.ahlquist at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 16 19:34:00 CDT 2011

As others have stated it would be nice to know the assumptions behind these
calculations.  I'm surprised that the NRC did not include them or at least have
a reference to them.  We know nothing about the source term, the plume height,
the age of the fuel, the type of fuel [MOX?], time of release post shut down,
etc.  Otherwise, I don't know what to make of these numbers.   Should I use them
for decision making or not?  We need to understand the numbers to make good
decisions.  The Japanese people have been traumatized a lot. We don't need to
throw more confusion into this serious situation.

I would encourage anyone from NRC who reads this list to provide some more
information.

John Ahlquist
former member of the Radiological Assessment Branch