[ RadSafe ] Recent IAEA posting
john.ahlquist at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 01:25:55 CDT 2011
The following comes from the IAEA web page [iaea.org] which contains a lot of
Japanese Earthquake Update (17 March 01:15 UTC)
Injuries or Contamination at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant
Based on a press release from the Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary dated 16
March 2011, the IAEA can confirm the following information about human injuries
or contamination at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
Please note that this list provides a snapshot of the latest information made
available to the IAEA by Japanese authorities. Given the fluid situation at the
plant, this information is subject to change.
* 2 TEPCO employees have minor injuries
* 2 subcontractor employees are injured, one person suffered broken legs and
one person whose condition is unknown was transported to the hospital
* 2 people are missing
* 2 people were 'suddenly taken ill'
* 2 TEPCO employees were transported to hospital during the time of donning
respiratory protection in the control centre
* 4 people (2 TEPCO employees, 2 subcontractor employees) sustained minor
injuries due to the explosion at unit 1 on 11 March and were transported to the
* 11 people (4 TEPCO employees, 3 subcontractor employees and 4 Japanese civil
defense workers) were injured due to the explosion at unit 3 on 14 March
* 17 people (9 TEPCO employees, 8 subcontractor employees) suffered from
deposition of radioactive material to their faces, but were not taken to the
hospital because of low levels of exposure
* One worker suffered from significant exposure during 'vent work,' and was
transported to an offsite center
* 2 policemen who were exposed to radiation were decontaminated
* Firemen who were exposed to radiation are under investigation
The IAEA continues to seek information from Japanese authorities about all
aspects of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.
More information about the RadSafe