[ RadSafe ] Question re survey meters

Robert J Gunter rjgunter at chpconsultants.com
Thu Mar 17 10:44:12 CDT 2011

Greetings Ivor,

There are two ways of doing this.  Integrating the charge over a period of
time (yielding dose), or measuring the continuous current (Dose Rate).  Most
hand held ion chamber meters read dose rate.  Much of what you see as a hand
held meter measuring dose rate is typically a GM probe that has been
calibrated.  So be sure to figure out what type of meter you are using.
Something like an Eberline RO-2 or RO-20 are ion chambers measuring dose
rate.  A Bicron uRem is a scintillator (yet a different animal) that
measures dose rate using a plastic scintillator, or other models use NaI
detectors (with all the inherent energy dependency).  Mainly laboratory
instrument are used to measure accumulated dose with an electrometer (though
some read dose rate too).

Dose rate is often measured in R (or Sv) per hr regardless of how long the
integration period.

Robert J. Gunter, MSc, CHP
CHP Consultants/CHP Dosimetry
www.chpconsultants.com