[ RadSafe ] Question re survey meters

Ivor Surveyor isurveyor at vianet.net.au
Wed Mar 16 21:40:08 CDT 2011

I have a question about radiation survey
instruments.   My understanding is that an air
ionisation chamber for instance collects the
charge released by an ionisation event (about 34
ev/ion pair in air or air like material lining
the chamber); the resulting current is measured
by a sensitive electrometer and converted into
Roentgen.  Now I understand the Roentgen is
defined as 2.58E-4 Coulomb/ kg dry air at 0° C and 760 mm atmospheric pressure.

My question is that instruments read as R/ h or
rem/h on the assumption that there is a rough
equivalent between an exposure of IR and an
absorbed dose of I rad (10mSV) to tissue.  Am I
correct that the instruments electronics sample
the ionisation currents over a time interval?  If
this is correct is there a “standard time”
sampling interval?  Can the operator vary the time sampling interval?

Ivor Surveyor
isurveyor at vianet.net.au