[ RadSafe ] IAEA - New Event on NEWS, Japan, Power Reactor

Jones, Cynthia Cynthia.Jones at nrc.gov
Fri Mar 18 09:55:32 CDT 2011

Dear Dan & RADSAFE-

I am the US National Officer for INES (the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale) and with all due respect, the Japanese issued a INES Level 4 rating form for this event on 3-12-2011, six days ago.  This was VERY early in the event and I believe it was very responsible, given the emergency situations and dire events surrounding the earthquake and tsunami that they are dealing with.

They issued several updates last night, which you received today.  INES is not a requirement for the 70 countries that agree to use it and typically is not issued systematically in emergency situations; their first priority is safety of the people and securing the NPPs, not issuance of an INES rating, which they also translate kindly for us in English.  I have attached the INES User manual for you and others to read and learn about; it is also available on the IAEA website. A shorter version of the INES pamphlet is attached, for your review and understanding of the scale.

Let's not be so quick to rush to judgment.  The Japanese and millions of people around the world are watching and thousands are helping them deal with a crisis of this magnitude. The NRC has manned its Operation Center 24/7 and is working with many other organizations; including Japan's, to provide the best advice and help we can give.  The Japanese upgraded the INES rating level to Level 5 today, and I believe they are doing the best they can given the priority of things that they need to do to get these reactors and fuel stabilized.

Sincerely

Cynthia G. Jones, Ph.D.,
U.S. National Officer and Advisory Committee Member, INES
Sr. Technical Advisor for Nuclear Security
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Office of Nuclear Security & Incident Response
Mail Stop T4-D22A,  Washington, D.C. 20555
cynthia.jones at nrc.gov
cgj at nrc.sgov.gov
Work: 301-415-0298
Blackberry: 240-888-9820