[ RadSafe ] Fwd:Cosmic Beryllium? RadSafepostfromm.c.baehler at bluewin.ch

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 10:14:37 CDT 2011

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/19866

"Kirkby and colleagues have presented new data on the cosmic-ray flux as
recorded in the beryllium-10 content of deep ocean sediments. They say that
the data suggests a link between the number of cosmic rays arriving on Earth
and the glacial cycles. Beryllium-10 is produced when cosmic rays interact
with particles in the Earth's atmosphere and then falls to the ground, where
it is stored in ice or ocean sediments."

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1994ApJ...423..426L

The isotopic composition of cosmic-ray beryllium and its implication for the
cosmic ray's age
Lukasiak, A.; Ferrando, P.; McDonald, F. B.; Webber, W. R.
The Astrophysical Journal, Part 1 (ISSN 0004-637X), vol. 423, no. 1, p.
426-431
"We report a new measurement of the cosmic-ray isotopic composition of
beryllium in the low-energy range from 35 to 113 MeV per nucleon. This
measurement was made using the High Energy Telescope of the CRS experiment
on the Voyager 1 and 2 spacecraft during the time period from 1977 to 1991.
In this overall time period of 14 years the average solar modulation level
was about 500 MV. The cosmic-ray beryllium isotopes were completely
separated with an average mass resolution sigma of 0.185 amu. The isotope
fractions of Be-7, Be-9, and Be-10 obtained are 52.4 +/- 2.9%, 43.3 +/-
3.7%, and 4.3 +/- 1.5%, respectively. The measured cosmic-ray abundances of
Be-7 and Be-9 are found to be in agreement with calculations based on
standard Leaky-Box model for the interstellar propagation of cosmic-ray
nuclei using the recent cross sections of the New Mexico-Saclay
collaboration. From our observed ratio Be-10/Be = 4.3 +/- 1.5% we deduce an
average interstellar density of about 0.28 (+0.14, -0.11) atoms/cu cm, and a
cosmic-ray lifetime for escape of 27 (+19, -9) x 106 years. The surviving
fraction of Be-10 is found to be 0.19 +/- 0.07. Modifications to the
conclusions of the Leaky-Box model when a diffusion + convection halo model
for propagation is used are also considered."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium

"Cosmogenic 10Be is produced in the atmosphere of the Earth by the cosmic
ray spallation of oxygen and nitrogen. Cosmogenic 10Be accumulates at the
soil surface, where its relatively long half-life (1.36 million years)
permits a long residence time before decaying to boron-10. Thus, 10Be and
its daughter products are used to examine natural soil erosion, soil
formation and the development of lateritic soils, as well as acting as a
proxy for measurement of the variations in solar activity and the age of ice
cores."

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist