[ RadSafe ] I-131 in milk and activity on spinach around Fukushima

Larry Addis ajess at clemson.edu
Sat Mar 19 19:27:30 CDT 2011

It's good to finally get some good news about Fukushima.  When we heard
about the 400 milli sievert dose rate the other day, partial melt downs and
drying spent fuel pools, I was worried that it was the beginning of the end,
all was lost and we were on the way to a hopelessly grim finale.

It does sound like with restoration of offsite power and diesel generators
coming on line that things are stabilizing. I hope enough pumps and
attendant piping systems survived to refill the pools and reactors - what
I've heard so far is encouraging.  Thank (place you favorite deity here).

If Iodine turns out to be the biggest threat to the public now, well time
will take care of that.

In the end, I found TMI to be a success story myself, others did not. This
probably doesn't portend well for the future of nuclear power in the US.  It
will be ashamed if that is the case, especially seeing as how the new
generations of reactor designs should greatly increase the
reliability/durability of the machines. I think our operating record already
is testament to the reliability of nuclear power.

My old age insomnia has nothing to do with living 13 miles from three power
reactors. It's my young son.

LA