[ RadSafe ] Anyone have GOOD world wide energy consumption data?

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Sun Mar 20 13:25:38 CDT 2011

Thanks - I found my error - it was 85,000  thousand barrels of oil per day!

So - the purpose of my calculation?

Well - a quick gedanken experiment (or muse)  suggested me that solar,
wind, wave or maybe even bio fuels were hopeless as a fossil fuel
replacement - SINCE - as I reasoned:

Wind wave and solar are PROMPT use of solar energy.

Bio fuels are collected solar energy  integrated over a growing season -
and consumed in much less time thus exceeding the rate of solar energy
input.

Likewise fossil fuels represent millions of years of solar energy
integration over the entire planet - land AND sea, collected and stored
at some probably small efficiency which I couldn't begin to guess - BUT
which we consumed over only a couple of centuries - once again FAR
outstripping the prompt solar energy rate.

Nuclear of course represents solar or maybe stellar energy as well - BUT
from within the star and integrated over billions of years.

Anyhow - since the "devil is in the details" as they say - in this case
those unknown efficiencies ....  A more direct calculation seemed a good
way to "check this out".

So - what I came up with was to replace the entire world wide fossil
fuel use assuming we could harvest that with 10% efficiency (current
unconcentrated solar cell max efficiency) would require 0.2% of the
entire land surface (or 1% for biofuel - 2% efficiency last I heard -
but that COULD use sea space as well).

I found that surprisingly maybe almost possibly doable!  I had thought
that considering the LONG integration time as opposed to the short use
times and there would be no way the the prompt solar rate would be
sufficient - so I was wrong - thus concluding that the efficiency of
solar to biomass to fossil fuel conversion MUST be vanishingly small!