[ RadSafe ] I-131 in milk and activity on spinacharound Fukushima

neilkeeney at aol.com neilkeeney at aol.com
Sun Mar 20 21:51:31 CDT 2011

Yes - unsurprising. This form of deposition is going along predictable lines.  The milk-thyroid path (depostion onto hay, pasture grasses then ingestion and body-metabolism to milk) would be found there as well upon analysis.. Narrow-leaf versus broadleaf exhibit, obviously, different retentions of surface contaminations per square meter.  Projecting the milk-thyroid path becomes a matter of simple dimension analysis after that.

A more comprehensive discussion of the ingestion pathway (at least for the U.S. ! ), sampling and analysis routines and so forth may be found at:

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/docs/er/400-r-92-001.pdf

Regards,

Neil Keeney