[ RadSafe ] Too much GOVERNMENT regulation

Bourquin, Marty Marty.Bourquin at grace.com
Wed Mar 23 15:16:47 CDT 2011

This should probably be taken off line since it is wandering away from
the original argument but your statement about Dodd-Frank is not
completely accurate.   The vast majority of high risk (sub-prime) loans
were made by institutions that were not subject to the CRDA.  The
failing was the ratings agencies giving this bundled subprime paper AAA
ratings thus allowing it to be resold at high prices.  If the paper had
been rated B- or lower like it should have been it wouldn't have had a
market to be sold in.  No resale market would have meant no (or fewer)
sub-prime mortgages being written.  But the ratings agencies would have
lost a lot of business from the big financial institutions if they rated
it lower so ...  And since these privately held ratings agencies were
basically unregulated (and in fact still are not regulated) guess which
won out - greed or the best interests of taxpayers?

And now I head back to the shadows to lurk until I feel the need vent
once again

Marty

Martin W. Bourquin
Manager - EHS