[ RadSafe ] observations on iodized salt

radbloom at comcast.net radbloom at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 10:14:35 CDT 2011

John,

I'm also still not sure what you are asking. :-) In regards to the iodine in iodized table salt or salt substitute, there is no radioactive iodine in these substances. If you are asking about radioactive iodine in air/food/water, then you can look at the ICRP models. Industry typically uses ICRP Publication 30, which have been updated in Publications 60-72 (depending on what exactly you are looking for). I believe there are more recent updates, but I'm not sure if these provide any significant change to the iodine metabolic modeling.

In considering radioiodine damage to the thyroid, I personally think about radiation therapy, where the goal is to reduce [over-active] thyroid function (an [acute] oral intake of about 10 millicuries [3.7 e7 Bq]) or to destroy cancer in thyroid tissue, which also stops thyroid function (an [acute] oral intake of about 100 mCi [3.7 e8 Bq]). In ICRP 30, it is assumed that 30% of the iodine is absorbed by thyroid tissue and the rest is excreted. In these large dosages, there is sufficient energy absorption within a sufficient number of thyroid cells to cause dysfunction of the organ.

Still not sure if this is what you are looking for. You might do a search on "iodine metabolism". You can also look at ALIs and DACs published by the EPA and NRC.

Cindy