[ RadSafe ] observations on iodized salt

John Gerald Center, Jr john.center at wmich.edu
Thu Mar 24 11:19:25 CDT 2011

Thank you all for your input.
You helped most by helping me clarify what I was trying to get to.  I was talking to some students about NORM and radioisotopes naturally in food and our bodies.  When the "lite" salt thing came up again from some who had taken the actual safety class.  I was trying to explain that there were different types of the same thing with different characteristics--isotopes.  And that these atoms can combine with other atoms to form molecules that will change how they effect the body-- absorption abilities, etc.  I was trying to give a good explanation on why the iodized salt in the mix was not why we didn't get "radiation poisoning" from the potassium-40. (Besides that it was minuscule).  Looking at the metabolic processes involved will give me better way to explain. So once again, thank you.
John

John G. Center, Jr.
Radiation Safety Officer
3922 Wood Hall