[ RadSafe ] UC Berkeley Nuclear EngineeringAir MonitoringStation | The Nuclear Engineering Depa

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sun Mar 27 17:03:57 CDT 2011

Mike, Jim, Roger et al.,

Forgive my typical European narrow mindedness, but I have introduced in the
early 80's with a collegue high volume sampling (50-100m3 per hour),
effective filters and routine high resolution Ge-gammaspectrometry in our
Austrian surveillance system. Not only were we able to detect fission
products of a chinese atmospheric nuclear test (the last one) but also this
system later on provided us with excellent data on the contamination of the
Chernobyl accident. I did not invent this procedure, I partly copied it from
the Finnish and Swedish radiation protection institutes. Other countries in
Europe had similar systems since long working. So what? What is so
extraordinary with the described set up?

A few days ago I wrote to RADSAFE on the importance of the chemical form of
I-131. - Obviously no reaction. I believe that the method of sampling
depends not only on what kind of radionuclides, but also which chemical
forms are wanted to be determined. I do not find in the most recent posts
any hint on the speciation of "iodine".

Best regards

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD