[ RadSafe ] xkcd: Relative Radiation Dose chart

Ed Hiserodt hise at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 28 20:00:20 CDT 2011

Sandy,

You may recall in the Johns-Hopkins study of nuclear vs. non-nuclear
shipyard workers that the cohort of some 70,000 participants were paired at
random.  "You there, go to the nuclear ships, and you there to the
non-nuclear."  How could a "healthy worker affect" be possible under these
circumstances?  But the nuclear workers had a Standard Mortality Ratio of
0.74 when compared to the non-nuclear cohort.  Not what the study was
expected to show.  (And probably why it was not published for almost 20
years after analysis of the data.)

Ed Hiserodt
Controls & Power, Inc.
President & Janitor