[ RadSafe ] xkcd: Relative Radiation Dose chart

shima shima at piments.com
Tue Mar 29 04:13:11 CDT 2011

On 03/29/11 03:16, Doug Huffman wrote:

Hi,

"studies have demonstrated "

Is this *a study* (the one cited) or have several studies shown this and
no studies shown the opposite? I get the strong impression there is some
selective thinking going on here.

However, such a result deserves to be examined like any other,
remembering that a study is just a study. Arbitrarily selecting one
study does not make it an eternal truth.

The result is at first impression rather surprising. Even if there were
no significant extra risk from the doses to which the cohort was exposed
one would not expect a significant reduction in risk. So what are the
possible causes?

1. The study was defective, the result invalid.

2. The level and types of doses to which they were typically exposed
reduces the risk of cancer.

There is some other work in the sense of 2 in specific treatments so
this is not impossible, though not as a general result applicable to all
exposure. It remains an unlikely explanation.

The first point raises several possibilities.

1a. Lack of rigorous method gave a spurious result.

1b. Intentional or sub-concious bias on the part of the authors.

Just one aspect that would come under 1a is that the general environment
to which the nuclear workers were exposed was more rigorously controlled
on all levels and general shipyard workers. Many toxic products go
through shipyards and it is a macho context were only "faggots" would be
bitching about silly health and safety rules.

It is possible that general shipyard workers are exposed to more
carcinogens than those working in more disciplined  contexts.

A comparison of other injuries or fatalities on the same groups may help
put this into context.

Strict levels of security are practised in the nuclear industry
precisely because it is so dangerous. This culture will almost certainly
affect other health and safety dangers.

As always a whole study will be reduces to one sentence and then quoted
out of context by those who feel it fits their agenda.

rgds.