[ RadSafe ] Radioactive contamination of the ocean

Busby Chris C.Busby at ulster.ac.uk
Wed Mar 30 06:47:53 CDT 2011

But it does not work like that. That is what Dunster said in 1957 about Sellafield. But it was wrong. The radionuclides bind to the intertidal sediment and become resuspended and come ashore in the air due to sea-to-land transfer, a phenomenon that is well described and measured. This results in excess cancer risk in coastal communities. For example, the leukemia rates in children are highest in the coastal communities near the Millstone reactor; plesty of other examoples especially Sellafield.
Chris Busby