[ RadSafe ] Busby and calculations

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Tue May 3 20:51:40 CDT 2011

May 3

	I am currently reading a book about early modern Europe (Rice, 1970).

	In his chapter on science and technology, the author discusses the
physics of the medieval scholastics, and how they went nowhere
because of the scholastics' limited knowledge of mathematics.  The
author also says, "They were disputatious, and too often preferred
the sophistical victory of the debate to the empirical search for
truth.  They calculated, but saw little need to measure."

	"Dr. Chris Busby, another physicist . . . predicts based on his
calculations. . . ."

	I don't make the news, I merely report it.

Steven Dapra

REFERENCE

Rice, Eugene, F. Jr.  The Foundations of Early Modern Europe, 1460 -
1559.  W.W. Norton and Co., 1970  (page 20).