[ RadSafe ] Ongoing Criticalities InsideLeaking FukushimaDaiichi Unit 2

Mike Quastel maay100 at bgu.ac.il
Wed May 4 06:18:00 CDT 2011

I believe the first method for producing I-131 for medical use was
with the cyclotron. Saul Hertz at Mass General Hospital pioneered the
treatment of hyperthyroidism with I-131 in 1941 using the MIT
cyclotron which had just been completed in 1940.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Hertz>.

Mike

On May 3, 2011, at 5:10 PM, Philip Simpson wrote:

> A third method is a Xe-131(n,p)I-131.  Xe-131 is a naturally
> occurring isotope of Xe.  I believe this technique is being used at
> McMaster University to produce I-131 for medical use.
>
> Phil Simpson
> Asst. Reactor Manager (Ret.)
> University of Michigan
> Ford Nuclear Reactor
>
> On May 3, 2011, at 12:51 AM, Edmond Baratta wrote:
>
>> There is another method.  It is neutron bombardment of Tellurium
>> (Te).  A company in South Africa produces Iodine-131 by this method.
>>
>> Ed Baratta
>> Consultant - Radioactivity
>> edmond0033 at comcast.net
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Jim Darrough
>> Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 8:21 AM
>> To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics)
>> Mailing List'
>> Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Ongoing Criticalities InsideLeaking
>> FukushimaDaiichi Unit 2
>>
>> Pardon my ignorance, Bob. Are you saying that I-131 can be created
>> in some
>> manner other that fissioning? I was always led to believe that
>> I-131 is
>> strictly a fission byproduct/fragment. Looking at an old copy of
>> Nclides and
>> Isotopes Chart of the Nuclides, (16th edition) it seems to me that
>> I-131
>> would not be readily created by neutron absorption.
>>
>> Cesium 137 on the other hand has a long half life, relatively
>> speaking so
>> any release from broken or leaking fuel rods (such as those in the
>> pools)
>> could release plenty.
>>
>> In short, I do not think there is enough spontaneous fission going
>> on in the
>> reactor(s), especially with Boron injections, to produce I-131 in any
>> meaningful amount.
>>

>> Am I wrong about this?
>>

>> Regards, Jim Darrough

>>> 2, the same reactor pressure vessel (RPV) with a leak path to
>>> reactor
>>> floor,
>>> aux building, and outdoor trenches, that is uncontrollably
>>> leaking high
>>> levels of I-131, Cs-134, Cs-137 into the Pacific Ocean.

>>> Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and
>>> understood
>>> the
>>> RadSafe rules. These can be found at:
>>> http://health.phys.iit.edu/radsaferules.html
>>>
>>> For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other
>>> settings
>>> visit: