[ RadSafe ] Support Radon Mine but mention "kill" scientist make nosense, help!

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed May 4 20:05:17 CDT 2011

At 12:00 PM 5/4/2011, you wrote:
>Hi all,

>I think there have been some odd notes put out
>there including, "stop me before I kill again"
>and "took a vote. Kill again" regarding
>Caldicott's article.  I have to agree with M.
>Sato that these are odd statements, and although
>I grew up in this culture, I flinched rather
>than laughed - although I believe humor and
>venting frustration were the authors' goals.  I
>don't know if Caldicott's a quack or not, but
>from what I've read, I'd definitely say her
>understanding of radiation, its uses, risks and
>benefits are not well understood by her.

         In her capacity as a medical doctor
(M.D.) Caldicott may well be a competent doctor,
and not a "quack."  To say radiation, etc., is
"not well understood" by her is to vastly understate the problem.

>   She tried to give the impression that M.D. 's
> do no harm, but the health physicists do - I
> definitely take exception to that and would
> remind her that radiology, radiation therapy
> and nuclear medicine are standard medical
> programs.  Having a medical degree does not
> eliminate ones ability or risk of causing
> harm.  I am concerned that Caldicott seems to
> be spreading a misguided understanding of
> radiological risk and that she does not appear
> to consider the exposure going on in her own
> field of employment, which tends to be the
> highest lifetime source of radiation exposure for most individuals.

         She doesn't suffer from a "misguided
understanding."  She knows nothing about
radioactivity, nor does she know anything about
the epidemiology that pertains to it.

[edit]

>Cindy Bloom

[edit]