[ RadSafe ] Member of European Committee on Radiation Risk: 400, 000 Fuku cancers based on health studies after Chernobyl |TheNuclear Engineering Department At UC Berkeley

Busby Chris C.Busby at ulster.ac.uk
Sat May 14 14:18:07 CDT 2011

I met Feinendegen at Oxford in 2004 and listened to his arguments and those of others who make the same points. I do not disagree that low doses of external radiation in the 10-50mSv range may induce repair efficiency. I agree. I think there is massive evidence in animal studies that this is so in animals. I do not subscribe to LNT. The dose response is complex, I believe it is biphasic and there is a lot of evidence for this from many sources. I refer you to Burlakova. Of course, that is not to say this is a good thing. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

But you must move on from there, expecially in species which have such efficient repair like humans. Did you know that the lifespan of a mammal is proportional to its radiation resistance? Check Sacher 1955 or my book Wings of Death 1995 where I make a graph of this.

  You need to consider that for certain internal exposures the dose that matters is the dose to the DNA or to certain biological elements near to the DNA. We know this from e.g. Auger experiments using DNA bound molecules which have had Auger substituents like I-125.

The cell dose from a single alpha track is about 500mSv, far in excess of the levels of EXTERNAL cell dose which causes the effects Feinendegen is talking about. If there is inducible cell repair like "radiation suntanning"£ then clearly it can be (a) overwhelmed and (b) bypassed, as in the 2nd event processes I postulate, due to sequential decays.

Chris