[ RadSafe ] Busby's bloated ego

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sun May 15 14:44:34 CDT 2011

May 15

	This is the link to the partial transcript of
conversation between Professor Chris Busby,
Scientific Secretary of the European Committee on
Radiation Risk, and Dr Jack Valentin, Scientific
Secretary Emeritus International Commission on
Radiological Protection.  It is part of a public
meeting in Stockholm, 22 April 2009 marking the 23rd anniversary of Chernobyl.

http://www.euradcom.org/2009/lesvostranscript.htm

	About three-fourths of the way through the
conversation, Busby is hounding Jack Valentin for
a risk model to be used in evaluating the siting
of power reactors.  (ECRR is the European
Committee on Radiation Risk, whose scientific
secretary is Busby.)  The following colloquy ensues:

Busby:

. . . When you build new nuclear power stations,
or [consider] any nuclear policy, you need to
know what would happen if something went wrong.
You need some kind of model, and at the moment
they are using your ICRP model. Are you saying
they should be or they shouldn't be? You seem to
be saying they should use no model at all. Is it guesswork, or what?

Valentin:

Well I certainly wouldn't say they should use
your [Busby's and the ECRR's] model because

Busby:

ECRR gives the right answer.

Valentin:

 no it's the wrong answer, leading to large
expenditure that would not be sensible and could
be used to save lives in other [ways].

	When I read "ECRR gives the right answer" I
burst out laughing.  Can you *believe* the
bloated ego of Busby???  Busby's comments and
claims in this partial transcript are so silly it
defies description.  I'd like to write more
however I have an important errand to run and must leave.  More later.

Steven Dapra