[ RadSafe ] Member of European Committee on Radiation Risk: 400, 000 Fuku cancers based on health studies after Chernobyl | TheNuclear Engineering Department At UC Berkeley

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sun May 15 21:29:37 CDT 2011

May 15

         I don't know as much about Roger Helbig as Dr. Busby
apparently does, so I can't comment on his qualifications.  As to
"abusing real scientists," I imagine that depends on how Busby
defines "abuse," and a "real scientist."

         Here's the link to Wikipedia's article on the European
Committee on Radiation Risk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Committee_on_Radiation_Risks

         According to Wikipedia, the ECRR is "is an informal
committee formed in 1997 following a meeting by the European Green
Party. . . ."  As an "informal committee" it has no official
status.  I would be somewhat skeptical of anything that grew out of
any Green Party.

         I don't know the credentials of the ECRR's members, nor do I
know the credentials of the members of the "so-called official risk
agencies," so I can't comment on any of that.  I looked at the ICRP's
website today and learned that it was founded in 1928.  Regardless of
its status in Dr. Busby's eyes, I doubt that it would have survived
for 83 years unless it was a competent and reliable
organization.  Perhaps someone at RADSAFE can elucidate us as to the
amount of research that has been done and is done by members of the
ICRP.  I find it hard to believe that "they have rarely done any research."

         To digress, what about Dr. Busby?  Is he a real
scientist?  Sure --- in his field, which I believe is chemical
physics.  As I have said before, Dr. Busby is not a health
physicist.  (As I recall, that engendered a short-lived argument from
Dr. Busby that "health physics" is an oxymoron.  How that is germane
to anything I do not profess to know.)

         To me, one of the hallmarks of a real scientist is that he
provides proper citations to work he invokes in support of his
position.  It's been a long drawn out battle here to induce Dr. Busby
to provide citations for anything.  He has done it again
today.  Below he invokes "Tondel et al in 2004."  Where was this work
published?  Perhaps one of us would like to read it and draw his own
conclusions.  A few weeks ago when we were bickering about infant
leukemias in the aftermath of Chernobyl, Dr. Busby gave us word
groups and suggested that we do Google searches to find the studies
he recommended.  Is this the behavior of a real scientist?

         I kept after Dr. Busby long enough and he provided a link to
his article about infant leukemias.  I wrote an 800 word critique of
his article, to which he said virtually nothing.  Five days after I
wrote, he complained that it took me so long to reply ("though it
took him long enough"), and then he said:

"Basically he is saying there were no excess infant leukemias in the
Chernobyl fallout in utero cohort.  The 5 difference groups got it
wrong.  Is that a fair analysis?  Or have I missed
something?  Incidentally, the paper on the Scottish infant leukemias
was by the Oxford-based Childhood cancer Research Group.  The French
IRSN report saying that ICRP was questionable has been translated
into English for those who cant read French.

"Well thats one way to do it I suppose.  Cant argue with that.  All 5
goups made up the data.  Nice one Steven."  [The punctuation
omissions are Dr. Busby's.]

         Not very impressive, is it?  I did not say there were no
excess infant leukemias.  The studies said that and I merely quoted
them.  I also did not accuse anyone of making up data, nor did I
imply that anyone made up any data.

         I posted a detailed reply to all this, and asked Dr. Busby
to explain his "5 difference groups."  He never said another
word.  It might be worth pointing out that I provided citations for
all that I said, and even provided the germane citations to Dr.
Busby's article --- the one that he was so proud of, and that it took
me so long to pry out of him.  I would never claim to be a scientist,
let alone a real scientist, however some of Dr. Busby's behavior
doesn't add up.

Steven Dapra

[edit]