No subject

Wed May 18 15:38:07 CDT 2011

an=A0Irradiator and a Americium source I can assure you that they can and w=
ill=20
dispose of large sources.=A0 They will remove your=A0Irradiator from your c=
ampus in=20
one piece.=A0 They didn't charge my campus for the removal of either source=
.=A0 The=20
only caveat is that they have to live within a budget just=A0like the rest =
of us=20
and it took quite some time, like two years, for them to come out and remov=
e the=20
irradiator.=A0
=A0Roy Herren=20

________________________________
From: "Wasiolek, Maryla" <mwasiol at sandia.gov>
<radsafe at agni.phys.iit.edu>
Sent: Mon, August 15, 2011 3:56:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Removal of Cs-137 source from an old irradiator

Gentlemen,=20

Thank you very much for the tips.=A0 At some point we did contact OSRP, but=
 from=20
what I understand, the removal of our source was not quite consistent with =
their=20
mission. The irradiator is rather large, about 6 feet tall, which is why we=
=20
thought we would try to remove the source for disposal, e.g., from behind t=
he=20
shield wall using manipulators.=A0 That is why I was looking for the inform=
ation=20
on how the irradiator was constructed inside.=20

Thanks again,

Maryla Wasiolek
Gamma Irradiation Facility
Sandia National Laboratories