[ RadSafe ] Tritium contamination

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Tue Nov 1 10:01:04 CDT 2011

Mattias,

I would think that most of your tritium is in the form of water.  Since water is highly removable from steel, I would tend to think that a method that includes thorough drying would defeat your ability to assume that 3H and 60Co would be in a fixed, or even predictably variable, ratio.

On the other hand, if your tritium starts the process as hydrogen gas, it will to some degree interact with the surface of the steel and be retained (probably as an hydride) moreso than with water.  However, even in this case, the amount remaining will be a small fraction and will depend on many other factors regarding the circumstances of deposition.  So I too, am not sanguine that a reliable ratio can be discovered.  On the plus side, if you drive off the hydrogen with heat and collect it by trapping at the beginning of the sample prep, you should get a reliable measurement to compare to the dry sample with Co.

Hope this helps,

Brad

Bradly D. Keck, Ph.D., CHP