[ RadSafe ] DU not toxicologically identical to non D-U

Wed Nov 2 18:28:09 CDT 2011

I am afraid you are wrong, in several different and obvious ways.

The first is that, if you actually read my post, you will see that I
specified "by weight or per atom", so that someone wouldn't try
comparing apples and inverse-apples.  Let's stick with the kind of units
that are used, like Bq/g or Bq/atom or ug (U)/g, or something like that,
rather than atoms/Bq, shall we?  Comparing radiological toxicity really
has to be done on a by weight (or mass) or on a per atom basis, unless
one is claiming that a particular decay scheme (type of decay and
energy) is more toxic than another (one that might be brought up, but in
comparing DU to U(nat) or even slightly enriched U fails on other
grounds).

As far as your greater number of atoms of U238 absorbing a greater
percent of the natural background gamma flux (and doing what, with it,
exactly?  Re-radiating it?  Turning it into heat?  What is it doing that
would damage a cell?), than the same activity of U(nat), I submit that
the ratio of interest is not atoms DU compared to U(nat), but rather
each of them as a percentage of the number of atoms in the volume of
interest (I will assume a cell, as this all becomes fairly pointless if
we are just talking about chunks of metal).  As the percentage of atoms
in a cell that are uranium is vanishingly small (unless you have
flat-out poisoned the cell with the heavy metal, in which case the rad
becomes moot), the difference between the gammas absorbed by the two
flavors of U are also vanishingly small.

Another error you make is assuming that only in DU does U238 decay.  In
U(nat) and even enriched U (until you reach quite high enrichment
ratios), there is plenty of U238 to undergo decay.  In U(nat), for
example, about 99% (by mass) is U238.  But wait, there's more!  If you
are going to include U238 decay products in the activity of DU (not at
all unreasonable, in my opinion), then it is only reasonable that
everything found in U(nat) be included, also.  Means not only Th234 and
Pa234, but also U234, Th230, Ra226, all in secular equilibrium, and some
percentage of everything further down the chain, depending on how much
of the produced Rn222 wandered off before decaying.  So even if you
started with a greater number of atoms of U238 than atoms of uranium in
U(nat), when you add in the decay products that can reasonably be
assumed to be present, there is a lot more activity from the U(nat).  If
you want to talk about U(nat) as refined rather than ore, then you STILL
have the activity of the U238 decay products, PLUS equal activity of
U234, Plus the activity of U235, and however much of their decay
products have built up.

I actually agree that it is no big deal, which is why I dismiss the "DU
causes (fill in the blank), especially when the "evidence" cited is
poor, suspect, nonexistent, or actually contradictory.

And I strive to be careful, which in this biz is mostly about being
knowledgeable an intellectually honest.