[ RadSafe ] DU not toxicologically identical to non D-U

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 04:11:06 CDT 2011

Dear Ahmad:

Uranium mineral species tend to leach U-234 more easily than U-238 because
crystal lattice dislocation is caused by alpha recoil when U-238 decays to
Th-234.  As I recall, the alpha particle has about 4-5 MeV energy, and the
imparted kinetic energy in the recoil is around 50 KeV to the Th-234 atom.
This is sufficient to dislocate the Th-234 atom.

For this reason, when Th-234 decays to U-234 within a mineral, the U-234 is
no longer tightly bound to the mineral lattice and is therefore
significantly more leachable. This feature has been well documented in
uranium deposits especially redox-controlled roll-front sandstone deposits
and in environmental geochemistry measurements. Elevated U-234 values are
typical of weak-leach conditions in near-surface vadose zones.  Likewise,
elevated U-234/U-238 ratios are characteristically present in the leading
edge of roll-fronts.  Yellowcake produced from acid in-situ-recovery (ISR)
in Central Asia characteristically has an elevated U-234/U-238 ratio caused
by various geochemical conditions encountered during mining.  This has been
reported on at the IAEA in "Downstream constraints on product specification
and ISL mining methods" by G. Capus in IAEA TECDOC-1396.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1396_web.pdf

Note that for U-234 to reach secular equilibrium requires 1-2 million years,
so leachate containing elevated U-234/U-238 ratios likely comes from natural
mineralized sources.

I looked at the Fallujah data, and was quite surprised at how low the total
U concentrations were in soils - around 1 mg/Kg U.  Quite a bit of the USA,
Sweden and the mid-east is directly underlain by uranium-bearing marine
black shales (Kolm Shale, Chattanooga Shale, Pierre Shale) and marine
phosphorites not to mention elevated uranium in granites such as the Reading
Prong.  The soils associated with these widespread formations tend to be
much higher in concentration, up to 100 mg/kg U.

Respectfully,

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist