[ RadSafe ] Your best off-topic break today: Time-lapse earth

Tue Nov 15 16:21:04 CST 2011

Recently I have watched several programs discussing the Earth's magnetic
field, and how it deflects charged particles (which of course cause the
borealis)  The strength of the field has been decreasing, and the
evidence is conclusive that the polarity of the field shifts, presumably
passing through "zero" before building in the opposite direction.  There
is active speculation as to what happens to our electronics, and perhaps
our bodies, when the field isn't there to channel the charged particles.
Also, while the time that the field is off appears to be "short", there
is lively discussion as to whether "short" in this case means "Tuesday
afternoon" or "the 2020s and 30s".  There is, however, general agreement
that if it is the latter, that would be bad.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of
franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:40 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) MailingList;
Mailing List for Risk Professionals
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Your best off-topic break today: Time-lapse
earth

Thank you Maury for your off-topic breaks! This one is really great!

Though Aurea borealis is closely related to radiation topics it has no
dose effect on people. But it is wonderful. I remember one winternight
at the farm house of my (then) parents in law in middle Finland, when we
saw a faint colour on the horizon, changing all the time. Unfortunately
I have not had the opportunity yet to travel during wintertime to the
northernmost places in Finland, Sweden or Norway to observe the
"revontul!i", Finnish for aurea borealis.
I have already thanked you for your various "off topic" messages. Please
keep distributing them! Please, dear list owner, do not censor them!
They are important to demonstrate that we people at RADSAFE appreciate
also information about radiation effects and phenomena not directly
related to "deaths".

Best wishes to you and all other RADSAFErs

Franz

visit: http://health.phys.iit.edu

--
Franz Schoenhofer, PhD, MinRat