[ RadSafe ] Cohen's radon results and LNT

Chris Hofmeyr chris.hofmeyr at webmail.co.za
Sat Oct 1 02:47:23 CDT 2011

Mike,
I am not enough of a statistician to give a considered opinion. And I have only
looked at this paper superficially.

One can see that Field et al have tried to control for numerous possible
confounders, so the intention was good, but I cannot understand that they end
up with controls that have a vastly smaller smoking history and also much
better previous lung health. I am very sceptical that such factors can be
corrected reliably, despite what statisticians may claim. Surely a closer match
should have been possible?

Female lung cancer rates were possibly unsettled at the time of the survey.
There was a very significant increase between the 1970s and the 1980/90s,
US-wide. Iowa??
Then the relatively small number of subjects......Why females? One probably
hoped to get a better dosimetry, but it is still full of assumptions. The
female lung cancer rate is much lower than the male rate, which happened to
vary little in the said periods. If radon is suspected as a multiplicative
modulator of LC, the effect on males would be larger.
Call me a sceptic.

chris.hofmeyr at webmail.co.za

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:43:40 -0700 "Brennan, Mike  (DOH)"
<Mike.Brennan at DOH.WA.GOV> wrote